We welcome all prose works from writers across the region – be that flash fiction or excerpts from long works. 6×6 was set up to give local authors a platform on which to promote their work, but having a title to promote is not essential in order to take part in 6×6.
This is your 6X6 opportunity to bring your writing to the notice of potential readers so please do spread the word on your twitter feeds and blog/web pages.
Writers/performers who have a new/recently published title to promote are actively encouraged to bring their published books for sale. We also encourage regional authors not selected for the events to bring their books and/or flyers publicising their work.
If you would like to be considered for a 6×6 cafe please check out the ‘about’ page and read the guidelines below carefully to ensure the best possible chance of being selected:
- One submission per writer for any single event.
- Each reading should last for no longer than six minutes when read aloud. A rough guide is 850 to 900 words – but everybody’s average reading speed is slightly different so please do time your piece, at your normal reading-aloud speed in advance of sending it to us. Think ‘6X6’ as you write because SIX MINUTES is the key! The most common reason for rejecting is reading length.
- Fiction of all kinds is our focus but non-fiction will be considered where/when a book by a local writer is being promoted. (Sorry – no poetry or drama).
- Pieces written specifically for 6×6 are welcome.
- Both published and new/forthcoming materials are welcome as a part-work (i.e. a section from a novel or short story). Where part-works are submitted they should make sense within the allotted six minutes.
- Your submission should be emailed to sixbysixevents @ gmail.com by the date provided on the relevant blog event.
- Tag your covering email with your name and title of your piece (this is because emails and attachments can become detached and may be discounted as a result).
- Please include any links to your blog/web site listing your writing credits in your covering email.
- Submissions must be in either a Doc, Word or RTF file format (not PDF) and labelled with both you name and the title of your piece. e.g. “Walking the Dog by John Smith entry for (date of event) 6X6”
- Include a short biography (50 word approx.) which incorporates your writing credits. This is for use in any pre-publicity on this blog site and also as notes for the event’s compere, should you be selected.
- Please check the submission windows as work received outside of those dates may not be considered.
- The Library staff are happy to assist writers without internet access to submit material.
- Writers may be invited to remain in reserve for an individual event, but in the interest of fairness we do not hold work over from one event to the next. Fresh submissions must be made for each 6X6.
- We reserve the right to refuse work that we feel is unsuitable for a 6×6 audience, especially in the areas of gender/racial/sexual or other forms of discrimination.
- Though most of our audience are over 18 yrs old, young people may be present and this should be taken into account. Submissions should be suitable for an early evening public performance in their use of adult subjects. Though the use of strong language is not prohibited it should be relevant and proportional.
Note: 6X6 is a platform for authors to showcase work (especially forthcoming publications) and does not incorporate writing competitions, workshops or feedback on work in progress.